SUBSCRIBESIGN UP TO OUR NEWSLETTER
Export Assistance Scheme
The City’s Economic Development Strategy (EDS) outlines a clear pathway for the Gold Coast’s long term growth and prosperity. While the traditional drivers of construction and tourism remain important the EDS provides the direction for diversification of the city’s economic base with a strong emphasis on the importance of international trade.
Export activities play a critical role in developing local employment, research, innovation and building the city’s competitiveness.
The City of Gold Coast has developed an Export Assistance Scheme that provides financial support to the city’s emerging and existing exporters who are export ready and have identified international markets for their products and services. The program assists eligible businesses to alleviate a small proportion of the financial burden of exporting.
The program is designed to:
- Encourage small and medium sized Gold Coast companies to develop export markets
- Assist exporters to become sustainable and to increase their export sales
- Assist emerging and existing exporters to enter new growth and emerging markets.
Funding will be approved under the following categories:
- Category A, which includes North East Asia, South East Asia, South Asia, New Zealand and Pacific Islands, will be funded $1500
- Category B, which includes Europe, Middle East, Africa and the Americas, will be funded $3000
Companies will be limited to receiving one Export Assistance Scheme payment per annum from either category A or category B up to a maximum of three payments over three years.
The Export Assistance Scheme is a competitive program with a limited pool of funding. Funding approval is at the discretion of City of Gold Coast and must be approved by the Council prior to travel dates.
Export Assistance Scheme Eligibility Criteria
Approval for funding will be based on the information provided by individual companies in the Export Assistance Scheme eligibility survey and will be assessed against the following criteria:
- A registered Gold Coast based business, established for more than two years with an active Australian Business Number (ABN)
- Participating in either a City of Gold Coast mission, an Austrade or Trade Queensland supported event or undertaking their own export market visit
- Registered with Austrade
- Verifiable turnover or external cash investment of between $250,000 and not more than $10 million (AUD)
- Export ready with a clearly defined export strategy and the ability to assign export budget
- Own the product/service/intellectual property that is being promoted
- Manufacture or produce their products and services in Australia on the Gold Coast or if manufactured or produced outside Australia, must provide a significant benefit to Gold Coast from overseas sales
- Complete a short outcomes summary following their trip, listing meetings and export outcomes achieved or in process
Companies eligible for the scheme will need to provide the following documents to receive payment:
- Copy of export strategy (to be provided with application)
- Copy of all travel documents outlining expenses incurred
- Evidence of attendance and participation in a trade event and/or own export market visit program.
- Complete a short outcomes report by survey
To enable us to measure the benefits of our programs to business, all companies that receive funding must complete a business outcomes survey at the end of the 2016 – 17 financial year.
If you believe that you meet the criteria above, please lodge your application online.
Applications can take up to six weeks to process. To receive the grant, you must apply and be approved before your travel date.
To find out more about the business services we offer contact us:
P: +61 7 5581 7528
financial support for emerging exporters
to encourage companies to develop export markets